Monday, March 26, 2007

Week 7 #16

Wikis - What exactly does that stand for? I've used Wikipedia and thought it was really great until I found out that anybody can write anything making the content rather dubious.

I took a look at SJCPL Subject Guides wiki and thought that was kind of cool, but I don't get why, what or how I would contribute to it.

I got sidetracked to the Davis, CA wiki and thought that was more interesting. If I lived in a relatively small town, I think that would be a great way to share information about the town. A Visitor's Bureau of sorts.

I'm afraid I can't think of anything that the university library could use this for it is were open to ANYBODY to edit. Maybe some collaboration with SJPL type of thing. I'm not very imaginative though, so I'm sure there is something we could use it for.

1 comment:

Virtual Services Team said...

As you see in exercise 17, you can create a wiki that requires a password for editing. This means that you can designate who will have access to edit the wiki. A wiki might be useful for sharing best practices, procedure, or new ideas that come up that are related to your job or department.